Farm Supply History

San Luis Obispo County Farm Supply Company, Inc. (FSC) was established in 1950. It was originally organized as a non tax-exempt agricultural supply cooperative to serve the members of the Farm Bureau.

Farm Supply History Records show the first Farm Supply store was an 18-by-20-foot room with $400 worth of inventory located on Monterey Street in San Luis Obispo.

Established to sell fertilizer at reasonable prices and to distribute post-war surplus equipment, Farm Supply was vital for local agriculture. Until the late 60’s a large part of Farm Supply’s business was selling and servicing local dairies.

In 1965, Farm Supply purchased Walty Pump Company and established its pump department. This department has become a vital part of our service line. Today FSC has twelve pump technicians and a fleet of five state-of-the-art pump trucks, providing service 24-hours a day, seven days a week.

The Farm Supply building located at Higuera Street and Madonna Road, Farm Supply’s building burned down in 1965. From 1966 to 2004 FSC was at 675 Tank Farm Road in a building purchased and built by Farm Bureau.In 2004, Farm Supply built a brand new facility at 224 Tank Farm Road.

In July 1977, Farm Supply purchased Cal Tech Chemical in Paso Robles. In 1988, Farm Supply opened a store in Morro Bay, but due to limitations of the facility it was closed in 1998. In 1989, FSC purchased Hanson Hardware on the corner of Main Street and Blosser in Santa Maria. In 2003, FSC purchased E.C. Loomis and Son feed store and in 2004 moved to the current location on El Camino Real in Arroyo Grande. In 2007 FSC purchased the Roemer's business and moved our Santa Maria location to the Roemer's facility on 1920 N. Broadway.

In September 2011, we opened our fifth location in Buellton on 700 McMurray Road.  Four weeks later we traded properties with AJ Contractors in Paso Robles.  Our new Paso Robles store is located on 2450 Ramada Drive.

History 1